Saybrook University is accredited by the Senior Commission of Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), a regional accrediting agency recognized by the US Department of Education and by the State of California. Saybrook participates in a regularly scheduled re-accreditation process conducted by the Senior Commission of WASC.”The Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities” is responsible for the evaluation of the quality and effectiveness of colleges and universities offering the baccalaureate degree and above in California, Hawaii, Guam, and the Pacific Basin.”
The process requires Saybrook to provide requisite reports to WASC and a series of visits to Saybrook by an independent team selected by WASC. Saybrook underwent a Special Visit from WASC in March of 2012. As a result of that visit, WASC reaffirmed Saybrook’s accreditation. Links to the officially approved information about Saybrook that is maintained by WASC and results of the most recent process, including the Site Visit Team Report and the WASC Commission Action Letter, may be found at the bottom of this page.
It is important to note that we cannot address every issue that is identified in the Site Team Report. We will take our cue from the issues listed in the WASC Action Letter. Using that as our starting point, we must develop priorities and a plan that reflects our most pressing needs and our capacity to address those needs. This effort is being coordinated with our Strategic Agenda.
As the Action Letter below notes, Saybrook’s current re-accreditation period began in June 2008. Our next comprehensive re-accreditation process will begin in 2015 and complete in 2016. To accomplish re-accreditation, we will be engaged in WASC’s new re-accreditation process, described in the WASC Handbook of Accreditation – 2013 found at the following link (click here).
- Financial Structure Type: Private, Non-profit
- Sponsorship or Control Type: No related entity
- Academic Calendar: Semester Plan
- FTE Student Enrollment, Fall 2011: Undergraduate (0); Graduate (585)
- Degree Levels Offered: Masters, Doctoral
- Granted Candidacy for Accreditation: 1979
- First Accredited by WASC: 1984
- Current Accreditation Status: Accredited
- Most Recent Commission Action: 7/9/2012
- Upcoming Reviews: Offsite Review: Fall 2015
- Site Visit: Spring 2016
- Commission Action Letter July 2018
- Interim Report Commission Action Letter June 2016
- Special Visit Commission Action Letter March 2015
- WASC Commission Action Letter July 2012
- Educational Effectiveness Review (EER) Commission Action Letter July 2008
Saybrook Institutional Reports and WSCUC Communications
- Saybrook Response to Team Report May 2018
- Site Visit Team Report March 2018
- Saybrook Institutional Report July 2017
- Saybrook University Special Visit Report August 2014
- Site Visit Team Report March 2012
The Office of Institutional Research maintains statistics on enrollment and retention rates of entering students of each program of study (click here). The latest available data in student retention based on the following definition: Student retention is the percentage of a cohort of new fall term students who are still active or who have graduated the following fall term. Students who are not active for any reason other than graduation (including, but not limited to, leaves of absence and withdrawal) are not retained.
Accreditation by program
M.A. Counseling, Clinical Mental Health Specialization: The M.A. Counseling, Clinical Mental Health Specialization program has been accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP) for an 8-year period through October 2026.
Saybrook University is an affiliate of the nonprofit TCS Education System (TCS ES), which features a network of fellow nonprofit institutions, each backed by a model of education that prepares socially responsible professionals in applied fields such as education, healthcare, psychology, and law. Other TCS ES affiliates include The Chicago School of Professional Psychology, The Santa Barbara & Ventura Colleges of Law, Dallas Nursing Institute, Pacific Oaks College, and Pacific Oaks Children’s School. Learn more at www.tcsedsystem.edu.