Financial Aid FAQs

What is the web address for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid?

Who can assist me with any FAFSA questions I might have?

The free application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) serves as the single application for financial aid at Saybrook University. Students who complete the application are considered for federal, state, and university student financial aid programs.  You can call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1.800.4.FED.AID (1.800.433.3243) with questions about the FAFSA or about federal student financial aid in general. If you are filing FAFSA on the web, you can get help at

What is Saybrook’s School Code for the FAFSA application?


Who determines how much aid I get?

The federal government has established the basic formula approved by Congress, called Federal Methodology.  When we receive your application, it includes your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) which is determined by the formula.  We subtract your EFC from the total cost of attending Saybrook University. This gives us your financial need, and allows us to develop your financial aid award letter/package.

In order to receive financial aid do I have to apply every year?

Yes. In order to receive consideration for all programs you must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. File the FAFSA in the month of January. If necessary, you may estimate your taxes to complete the form.

If I need to complete the aid application, but everyone is telling me to do it on the web, is that better than completing it on paper?

Yes, The web version guides you through the application and assists you in providing the right responses. Consequently, there are little or no errors with this method and therefore, no delays in processing your student aid. This method of applying is much faster than submitting the FAFSA by mail. Approximately 87% of all applicants used the method last year.

Why does the Department of Education ask for income information from the year before I go to school?

The law requires that this information be used, since studies have consistently shown that verifiable income tax information from the most recently completed tax year is more accurate than projected information and provides a reasonable basis for determining family financial strength in calculating the Expected Family Contribution (EFC).

I am now a US citizen but have an Alien Registration Number (A-Number). How do I indicate this on the application?

Indicate that you are a US citizen; do not provide your A-Number.

I’m going to get married this summer. How do I answer the question that asks if I am married?

You must answer Questions 16 & 17 based on your marital status on the day you complete and sign your FAFSA. Answer “Yes” if you are married on the day you complete and sign your FAFSA, otherwise, answer “No.” If you answer “No” and then marry after you originally file your FAFSA, you cannot change your answer. When you apply in a subsequent year and remain married, you will file as a married student at that time.

I’ll be filing a tax return this year but I probably won’t get around to it until April. How should I answer the financial questions? Should I wait to fill out this form after I’ve filed my tax return?

Ideally, you should complete a FAFSA after you’ve done your tax return, but don’t wait until April. Many schools award aid on a first-come, first-served basis. Also, you may not be eligible for state aid if you wait until April to submit your FAFSA. Many state aid deadlines are early in the calendar year. If you haven’t completed your tax return, you should calculate your adjusted gross income (AGI) and taxes paid using the instructions for IRS Form 1040. You can get the instructions and the form at a public library or download them in Portable Document Format (PDF) from

Keep in mind that if you submit your application before you complete a tax return, you may need to make corrections later if your income or tax information isn’t accurate. You will also need to return any federal student aid you received based upon incorrect information.

You might have to provide your college with a copy of your completed tax return (assuming you’re required to file one) before you receive federal student aid.

If I have a financial aid question whom do I contact?

Please send your questions to financial aid office email address: [email protected]

Do I have to be admitted to Saybrook University before I apply for financial aid?

No. You do not have to be admitted to the university before you apply for financial aid. However, before you can receive a financial aid award letter, you must be admitted to a degree program.